The Volta™ is a battery powered vaporizer manufactured in the USA by VaporGenie. The Volta ™ has a powerful LiFePO battery that provides power to a heating chamber. Herbs in the chamber are heated to vaporization temperature in seconds. Heat application is controlled by a manual pushbutton switch.
The Volta™ body is made of waxed hard maple wood. Electrical contacts and switch are bronze. Cover is bamboo and has a rare earth magnet attachment. Screws, battery holder and spring are stainless steel. LED indicator circuit is potted in silicone rubber and is lead-free. Battery caps are silicone.
Battery is an 18650-size lithium-iron phosphate (LiFePO) battery. It must be charged with a LiFePO charger (do NOT use a Lithium-ION battery charger; doing so can cause fire!). Batteries are rated for 300 charge-discharge cycles @ 1300mAH, and about 1000 charge-discharge cycles @1250mah. The batteries will last a very long time, provided they are not completely discharged (i.e. to zero volts). You must stop using a battery when LED indicator turns RED (happens at about 2.2 volts). Batteries take about 1.5 hours to charge fully.
Cold batteries: Battery output voltage is lower when the batteries are cold. The LED indicator will light up RED with a cold battery (below about 40F), even if its fully charged. The batteries are warmed by discharge, so this lasts only a few seconds (about 10-20 seconds). A battery at 5F can require a 60 seconds of discharge to warm up enough to turn the LED green. It is best to warm the batteries in your pocket or something before use. A room-temp battery (70F) works fine. If you are using the battery in the extreme cold, and the battery never has a chance to warm up, it will not last for the 7-8 minutes we promise.
Max charge voltage: 3.6V
Max charge current: 1.3A.
Max discharge current: 10A.
If you want to use your own LiFePO batteries, thats fine. Just make sure they have a max continuous discharge current of 10A. The Volta draws about 8-9 Amperes.
New Version Changes
We are now shipping the improved, re-launched Volta. We have made several upgrades compared to the original "beta version" Voltas sold during summer 2013:
1) A replaceable mouthpiece screen has been added. This screen will prevent plant matter bits from being inhaled. These screens will cost $2 for 10 screens.
2) Mica insulators (3 pieces) have been added between the heating element and wood body. These insulators improve energy efficiency and almost completely eliminate wood charring.The mica pieces are designed for use at extreme high temperature and will not outgas or produce inhalable particles. These mica insulators are user replaceable and are cheap ($1 per set).
3) New cover is made of bamboo, instead of glass (magnetic attachment mechanism is the same). This bamboo cover is essentially unbreakable and retains heat better than the glass (which increases battery life). All customers said the transparent glass was unnecessary anyway, because viewing the chamber is not necessary.
4) New battery indicator has separate, spaced-apart red and green LEDs. This makes is easier to understand the indicator, and is usable by colorblind people.
5) Edges and corners are rounded with 1/8" radius. Not all the above pictures have been updated to reflect this change (April 2014).
Whats In the Box:
1 Volta vaporizer (with mouthpiece)
2 18650 LiFePO batteries
2 silicone battery caps
Protective Plastic Waterproof Battery Case with Gasket
1 two-battery LiFePO charger
18650 LiFePO battery delivers over 200 watt-minutes of energy to heating chamber (about 8 minutes of power). Volta provides up to 25-35 draws from a single battery charge. By comparison, the MFLB delivers only about 90 watt-minutes.
Spring-loaded electrical switch is comfortable to use and provides precise manual heat control.
Magnetically-retained bamboo cover does not rotate, so it cannot spill in your pocket.
LED battery indicator shows when battery needs to be recharged (turns RED).
Unbreakable bamboo cover.
All parts are user-replaceable. If the body becomes worn-out or damaged, just replace it.
Replacement parts are available at the VaporGenie.com website. All screws are T-7 Torx drive.
It is necessary to occasionally clean your Volta. Do not use liquids to clean wood or bamboo parts. Heating chamber can be cleaned by brushing. Flicking the heating element (corrugated metal foil) is helpful for cleaning.
LiFePO batteries are damaged by complete discharge. So do not discharge the battery all the way. The LED indicator turns RED when a battery is about 95% discharged. Stop using (and recharge) a battery when the LED indicator turns RED. Batteries will be damaged if discharged below 2.0V. Replacement batteries cost $8 per pair (including silicone caps).
Keep silicone battery caps on batteries at all times, even if uncharged! Battery can dangerously short-circuit if it touches a metallic object (like keys in your pocket!).
Only use a LiFePO charger to recharge batteries. Do not use a lithium-Ion charger. A lithium-Ion charger can cause a LiFePO battery to leak or explode. This is because Li-ion chargers exceed the maximum charge voltage of 3.6V.
Only use a LiFePO 18650 battery in the Volta, with a 10A discharge rate capability. Do not use a lithium-Ion battery. A lithium-Ion battery can leak or explode if used in the Volta. All Volta LiFePO batteries have a VG sticker, so just use batteries with the VG sticker and there wont be any problems.
How to Use the VaporGenie Volta™ Vaporizer
1) Fill bowl area about 1/4-1/2 full with shredded herbs. Do not completely fill bowl.
2) Orient Volta so that the bamboo cover is vertical, and herbs are resting on top of metal heating element (not resting on the wood).
3) Press and hold switch. LED light will turn GREEN, which indicates that heating element is getting hot.
4) SHAKE WHILE HEATING! Shaking circulates air and herbs, and assures uniform heating. Shake every few seconds while holding switch. It will take about 5-15 seconds for chamber to heat to vaporization temperature.
Do not inhale while the chamber is heating. Constantly drawing cold air into the Volta will prevent the chamber from heating to vaporization temperature, unless you inhale VERY slowly. Some people like to do this, but we do not recommend it.
Using the Volta is an alternating process: heat for several seconds then inhale, heat then inhale.
Keep an eye on the LED battery indicator. When the indicator turns RED, stop using the battery. A fully-charged battery will provide about 8 minutes of power.
About the MagicFlight vaporizer
Some have claimed that the Volta is a "ripoff" of the MagicFlight vaporizer. This is absolutely wrong and objectively not true. Here are the reasons why:
1) The MagicFlight is distinguished by its unique wire cloth heating element. The MagicFlight patent is directed toward the wire cloth. The Volta does not infringe on the MagicFlight patent because it has a metal foil heating element, not a wire cloth. We think the foil heating element is better because it does not clog with material, is more durable, and is replaceable.
2) The MagicFlight requires pressing the battery to apply heating power. The Volta has a spring-loaded switch.
3) The MagicFlight has a plastic swivel door. The Volta has a bamboo magnetic door closure.
4) The MagicFlight uses nickel metal hydride (NiMH) batteries. NiMH is required for voltage-resistance compatibility with the wire cloth heating element. The Volta uses lithium iron phosphate batteries (LiFePO).
5) The MagicFlight cannot be disassembled. The Volta can be disassembled and all parts are replaceable.
6) Other differences include the steel battery clip and the two-color LED indicator in the Volta.
In view of the above differences, we think its not reasonable to describe the Volta as a "ripoff" of the MagicFlight. The only similarities are superficial and generic: both devices are wooden, box-shaped, battery-powered, manually controlled vaporizers.
Volta™ User Guide (You can help us improve this document, by leaving public comments via Google docs)
- Solid vape - Review by Yellowjeff
Love this Volta 2.0, batteries charge fast and last long, heats up great and doesn't burn easily, easy to load great price made n the USA, I love how the components are all swappable and repairable if it was to break, works great!
(Posted on 3/4/14)
- Superb quality, excellent aesthetics, tasty vape - Review by aww yeah
Firstly: It is SO AWESOME that you guys accept Bitcoin! Being able to buy awesome products from a company I love with a currency that I love is just fantastic! I hope more vendors follow suit :)
Just got mine out of the mail, charged the batteries and loaded her up. Color me impressed, I had been looking to get an electronic portable dry herb vaporizer (after previously owning and loving the Hand Carved Teak original VG) and the Volta exceeds my expectations in every regard.
The price is fantastic, it heats up faster than my table-top vaporizer, and nothing can beat the taste of herb vaped in a vapor genie, something about the wood mingles perfectly with the herbs and just makes it taste so delicious.
I was a bit confused on how to operate it at first, but it took less than half a bowl before I had it figured out and was vaping away happily.
You guys have done it again, the Volta is a fantastic product and I will be recommending it to my friends!
(Posted on 2/25/14)
- Volta is the Bolt Action of Vaporizers - Review by MrWolfeeee
By far this is the most unique wooden handheld vaporizer that slaps mflb in the face. For Comparison, the mflb's batteries suck compared to the volta's lithium ion batteries so the heating time is literally 4 or 5 seconds then a second after shaking you see the glorious drag to this box. I have smoked wax out of the box and I do recommend it although the coating stays on the metal and goes away some time after continually vaping. This is a great buy very well worth the price and try not to fiddle with the box lid because when you do that it wears down the wood so the box lid kinda sags! Not a problem just don't wear the box down!
(Posted on 8/7/13)